WhatsApp is the most used messaging app on the planet, with 2 billion active users, yes, 2 billion! This free app works beautifully across all mobile operating systems and helps users stay in touch with contacts using network data or a Wifi connection.
With so many groups, messages, contacts and files – this free messaging service can quickly become a invaluable part of your life. So how easy is it to transfer all of your WhatsApp data to a new mobile phone? Android to Android, or even iPhone to Android and vice versa?
Well, let’s show you how.
Method 1. Transfer WhatsApp from Android to Android
Fortunately, transferring WhatsApp to a mobile phone of the same operating system is a piece of cake. Whether you are upgrading your Android for another, or an iPhone for a newer model, fortunately WhatsApp have kindly provided all the tools you need to be able to do this.
First though, you’ll need to take a backup of your WhatsApp content:
1. Open WhatsApp on your Android device.
2. Tap the Menu icon > Settings.
3. Tap “Chats” from the list of settings.
4. Tap Chat Backup.
5. Tap “Account” to select or add your Google Drive account.
6. Check “Include Videos” if you would like to export them too.
7. Tap “Back Up” to back up your WhatsApp conversations and media to Google Drive.
Perfect! That’s all of your Android WhatsApp chats, messages and data backed up to your Google Drive. Now, let’s restore all of this goodness onto your new device:
1. Install and open WhatsApp on your new Android device.
2. Read the Terms and Conditions and tap “Agree And Continue”.
3. Verify your country and phone number when prompted.
4. Input the six-digit verification code if required.
5. Tap Continue to allow WhatsApp access to your Google Drive backup.
6. Give permission for WhatsApp to check your Google Drive for a backup.
7. Tap the account that contains your backup.
8. Tap Restore!
9. When the restore process is complete, tap Next to continue to the app.
Boom! WhatsApp restored to your new device. Now you can continue using WhatsApp but on your shiny new Android.
Method 2. Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Android or Vice Versa
Now, each WhatsApp user shares the same challenge when it comes to migrating to a different mobile operating system (like Android to iOS or vice versa). There is no cross-platform solution for simply and seamlessly transferring all of your group and message data from one device to the other.
Moving from Android to Android or iPhone to iPhone doesn’t pose a significant problem – as both operating systems provide cloud backup and restore features as part of the service – so in most cases, your WhatsApp contents can be migrated from a phone of the same system without issue (as above).
But if you’ve taken the plunge and are moving from Android to Apple or vice versa, you stand to lose your messages and chats in the process.
Here we’ll introduce you to the aforementioned solutions, so you can learn more, download them and start transferring your WhatsApp messages and chats between operating systems.
Firstly Though, What’s WhatsApp Transfer Software?
WhatsApp Transfer software is a PC or MAC based application especially designed for backing up and transferring WhatsApp chats, messages and media files between devices. The software works by simply connecting your device to your PC or MAC using a USB or Lightning Connector and following the simple on-screen instructions to transfer WhatsApp messages and chats between devices.
WhatsApp Transfer software supports over 8,000 devices on the market and can successfully transfer all of your WhatsApp and WhatsApp for business data between devices of the same operating system (Android to Android) or even from one operating system to the other (iOS to Android).
OK, so that’s the background. Let’s cut to the chase. Below are the best and most popular software solutions for transferring WhatsApp data between your Android/iOS phones and tablets.